Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Technology - I'm addicted (which is bad, right?)

Sitting on a train on my way home. By now you might know that I love trains. And I especially love this one! Getting on the train in Copenhagen, Denmark knowing that 5 hours later I'll be in the very center of Stockholm, Sweden. Having travelled 650 kilometers! Driving this route takes 7 hours (if you're speeding). Flying takes 4 hours (get to the airport, check-in, security... you know the drill). And here I sit in a craft doing way over 200 km/h between the many stations we stop at. The train leans in every curve so the drink on your table hardly tilts when you're in a curve.

Hydraulics! You've got to love it.

Oh, getting on the train was a bit interesting. Very Harry Potterish as platform 26 is found via platform 3 & 4. I suppose expanding an old and existing station means you usually make it wider, i.e. you add new platforms next to the old ones. But if you're out of space - which is the case in Copenhagen, where there just is no more room on the sides of the existing platforms (unless they start knocking down buildings) - you'll simply have to add the new platforms further *out* from the main central building. Brilliant.

Anyhow, back to my train. And back to my seat. Which is a very comfortable seat! It is of course adjustable so I'm half sitting here with my laptop, surfing away on the free internet connection they have onboard.


So without thinking much about what my main objective is (travelling 650 km to get home) I have now:

  • Paid some bills
  • Checked my emails
  • Started hunting for a ToDo List gadget for the Vista Sidebar (no luck yet)
  • Imported music from PC to Phone and then set up a new playlist on the phone.
  • Charged my phone
  • Charged my laptop
  • Had coffee and fruit
  • Seen some of the TV programs I've missed (available on the swedish TV site)
  • Acted on some of the apartment ads I've had some positive responses to (we really need to move to some other area)
  • Had some great wine and snacks
Amazing time to live in. And I truly enjoy it. I know I take it some what for granted by now (e.g. was a bit surprised none of the hostels/hotels I've stayed in didn't have WiFi), but all this is energy consuming. VERY energy consuming. And I seriously wonder how long we can keep this up. Will we leave *all* these problems for the next (or even the one after the next) generation to sort out? If yes, then we are bastards. But I'm addicted.

Also made me think about how come so many advance civilisations have vanished or faded in to nothing. Look at Iran/Iraq for instance. Once a highly advanced and admired center of skills and knowledge. What happened? I've got to look it up. So ttfn. I'll be back.

No comments: