Monday, April 23, 2007

All work and no play

Still alive, but just had a revelation! => Working 40 + XXhrs/week creates a private back log. (DUH!)

Amazing how I keep overlooking the result of my prioritising work over life. (Well, not entirely true, but when needed, and once I get going, there's no stopping me from finishing what needs to be finished (...on time, and as cost efficiently as possible, and with as high possible quality and yada yada yada...).)

So, after spending a ridiculous amount of hours working last week (which (again) has proven to be a good choice given the fact that I am now really on top of things - and no one in the project can claim they are not aware of current status) I decided to go through some papers lying around at home - and YIKES: Declaring Taxes are due next week!!! And my kids' passports must be picked-up this week!!!!!!

Breathe in...
Breathe out...

OK.

Yes, it is late. I should be in bed. But these things must go in to a plan.

Taxes: hm...
- Impact if nothing is done (i.e. no extra effort at all on my part) = the pre-filled out papers state I will get €350 back.
- Sounds OK. So, effort needed in order to turn red numbers black. Cool.
- Then again, I could put in some extra numbers leaving me probably double that amount. ...Decisions. Decisions.... (So, if can I put in those extra hours, meaning placing some calls in order to get the amount´s right - then I can claim that extra €350.) Right...
- Do I have the time to do so during normal office hours? Well... yes, but... doing that will probably cost as much lost non-billable hours.
- So, should I invest the time to do so? Probably not.
Fine!
Plan = Do nothing but sign papers and send to Tax office.

Passports: hm...
- Impact if not picked up before COB Thursday this week: Critical!
- Consequence if fails = no trip to Greece on Friday for my kids....
- Cost for picking up passports during office (non-billable hours) = €200
- So, should I invest the time to go pick up the passports? Yes.
Fine!
Plan = Pick up passports.

And again, I have a plan. It still does not include cleaning my home, or catching up with friends, or going to the gym - but it will keep me and my important ones satisfied for another 2 weeks. Good enough for now.

No comments: