Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Came back to Stockholm - spent the night in a hotel...

Sunday april 1st

  • Flew back from Dublin
    (Had a grand 4-days long weekend with great mates, many laughs and lots of Guinness)

  • Stopped for a (one) drink
    (Yes, only 1 (one) in a nice hotel lobby in Stockholm. I was in the pleasant company of a mate who happened to fly back to Sthlm from Dub with the same flight. Well, to be honest, it wasn't the fact that I would be working the day after that made me have only that 1 glass. It was simply the fact that the bar closed when we came in to the hotel, but the barman was a good enough guy to let us have that one drink. He then quickly packed up and went home.)

  • Got a cab back home
    (Eeeeeeexpensive, but I was still happy as there was very little traffic so what the fck. Another 20 minutes later I paid him a small fortune and turned down his nice offer to wait until I was safely inside. Mvhahahaaaa, this is not a *dangerous* neighbourhood you know I told him and rolled off with my luggage.)

  • 01:10 - stared at my apartment door holding 1 key of 2 keys to open the locks on the door
    (So that's what I get for being a risk manager...The story to this is that as I was packing for my trip on Wednesday night and I realized that I'd be leaving the apartment very early in the morning, and by habit I might accidently lock both locks. By doing that I would have put my daughter in a tight spot as she reported one of her keys had stopped working during the week. So, being a good and careful mom, I took that one key off my own keychain and stored it in safely in my key cabinet. Now at 01:10 in the morning, I realized that my daughters key was indeed still working...)

  • Got a cab back to work(!)
    (Had a moment with my tired head against my apartment door, eyes closed, teeth grinding and needed a) to go to the loo, b) take off my shoes and c) sleep in my own bed.

    Options considered with head against the door:
    - Go to my mom's and wake both her & my kids up, still not get any decent sleep since there's not room for more than 3 pps at her house?
    - Go to ex boyfriend and spend hours catching up?
    - Go back to the hotel I just left?
    - Scream at the top of my lungs? (Tempting but insane, so no)
    - Find a dark spot outside to relieve bladder?
    - Call hotel near my office in order not to get stuck in morning rush-hour traffic?

    I went for the last option. Only. Spent 10 minutes getting cold waiting for the cab. Then seriously considered picking a fight with the cab driver since he insisted keeping the speeding limit, when there was just us out driving. Decided to bite my tongue with fresh memory of picking cab driver fight abroad... And 40 minutes later I paid for the even more expensive cab ride.)

  • 02:00 Biting my tongue, getting my room key
    (Arrived safely at hotel, and spent, what at least *felt* like, 20 minutes at the desk waiting for the receptionist to get through the check-in procedure. Of course I added to the normal check-in time by claiming to be entitled to the T2-rate (which I obviously am *not* as not a T2-employee). The guy wanted to see some proof (good man). Like a T2 business card (duh, for employees only) or an business ID badge (yeah, I got one of those!) but it was safely left at home (behind the closed door) and obviously not brought to Dublin for risk managing reasons (and why would I need it until Monday anyway - right?). So spending 4 minutes trying to make him understand that I could not prove it, and would happily pay full price as long as he just gave me the key to the bleeding room.

    At this point he just gave me a long sad look and said "why are you so upset?". So I took a deep breath, told my story and that magically made him produce the key to my room.
    Checking out the next morning I noticed he gave me the T2 price. Thanks!)

3 comments:

Idiot said...

I cant believe you had to go through that bullshit after a nice trip...Nothing worse. hope the rest of your week went smoothly!

dolly said...

dolly a.k.a. the shit magnet...

So the week continued with me getting the worst cold in years. I don't get sick often, but when I do I go down hard.
Good thing still since it gave me some time to start up this blog.

I used to write down these small incidents in documents and store them on my PC. But of course the harddisk broke, and of course I hadn't taken any backups (so shit magnet AND stupid).

Anyhow, nice you've found your way here. I hope you'll have some good laughs while visiting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.