Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gift or curse - I'm still annoyed

I love public transportation!

When abroad, it is my favourite way of getting about in the cities. (I've exposed my feelings on cab drivers here before, so will not go on about that again.)

And Stockholm has a decent system, if you're not prone to complaining everytime a small mishap occurs causing delays, but this is an issue I have no problem with as I feel I am partially to blame for not starting my trip early enough to allow delays. The fare is also amazingly cheap (eventhough I did grunt when being informed yesterday that it had doubled since I last used their fine services) so the price isn't a reason for my complaints either. I can afford it and I'm happy it is there for me when needed.

But here comes the problem: I have a tendency (curse of gift) to always look at things that, if changed, would optimise an existing flow.

Well, when it comes to the Swedish public transportations I have, countless times, realised that the biggest issue in the whole flow are the awful travellers. They have no brains! They have no manners! They do not acknowledge the fact that there are other people around with just as much right to exist in this public space as they do. And should they occationally acknowledge your presence, it is by grunting at you for them stepping on your feet, or elbowing you in your stomach, or them having to move out of the way in order for you to get out of the place (so they can get on/sit down).

Another favourite is that they may, on any given time and in any spot, decide it is a great time/spot to stop and rummage their bag for a lost piece of gum, paper clip, ringing phone... The best places for this is usually where the escalator ends or where the door just opened and people are now trying to get out.

But what gets me the most is that all of the parts mentioned above adds up to a nightmare when it comes to the escalators and even worse on those flat speedy transportation belts. These people probably don't all have drivers licenses - so fine - but ffs, plain common sense should be enough for them to at least try and line up on the same side as most of the others already standing still? Or if deciding to speed up (i.e. no longer stay put), could they not have a small glance back in order to see if there is someone approaching at higher velocity before just stepping out?

My cure: kill 'em all

2 comments:

Idiot said...

Well Dolly you have been here in Ireland and our transport system sucks ass. So not only do we have your standard tosser without a brain we also have longer wait times for overdue buses and trains and they generally smell bad. Now my idea of public transport at its best is Zurich....I nearly cream myself thinking of the efficiency. BTW you are way angrier than me.......

Anonymous said...

Dave ... you seriously nearly cream yourself thinking about the efficiency of the Zurich Public Transport system?

I think, you should spend more time on the net I think, and less time trying to solve silly problems and puzzles.

Anyhow... when are we all getting together again.

I miss everyone.