Tuesday, April 17, 2007

On killing rabbits

Picked up a new book today, and there was a part where the narrator is trying to kill a rabbit (which he probably manages to do, it's just that I haven't finished reading that part yet.)

The story brought back a very odd memory:
I, my kids and my bf at the time, came home to my house one day only to find that there was a rabbit lying in my driveway. It must have been hit by another car and I took it for dead. But then it tried to run away, which broke my heart as the crash obviously hadn't kill the poor animal but only broken its spine. Now the rabbit was just able to move the front part of the body while the back part was completely limp.

OK sad, but only one thing to do - put Thumper out of his misery asap!

I took the kids inside, suggesting whacking the poor creature against a tree or hit it over the head with a rock but the bf took command. He'd sort it out.

After two minutes he comes back in asking for some worker gloves. I gave him some. Another twenty minutes later he came back in saying it had been really hard to get a firm and tight enough grip around that thin neck, hence it had taken him so long to strangle the rabbit.

PS: None of you know this ex bf
PPS. The narrator in the book managed to kill the rabbit, also strangling the creature.